A Shout Out to Mom…
I first posted this entry back in 2012…it created a lot of chatter, so here it is again! Happy Mother’s Day!
If you are a busy Mom trying to keep all the balls in the air, try some of these organizing tips: (and, if you are looking for gift ideas for Mom, why not give her a day of organizing with all of the family helping out or some time with a professional organizer!)
- Designate one central area of your home to deal with paperwork and managing the family…your family command center.
- Have a drop zone by the entry and exit point of your home. Keep all of the items that need to go in and out on a regular basis in this space: keys, purses, backpacks, cell phones, returns, briefcases…
- Use ready made checklists to keep from writing your to do lists over and over again. Maintain checklists for things like grocery shopping and bring the lists with you when you shop.
- Share your systems – Be sure others in your household know where things go and how your systems work. For example, teach kids to empty and hang backpacks and tack or place notices for you to check. Ask them to place important papers to be returned back in their backpacks.
- Smooth out morning bumps by doing as much as possible to get ready for the day the night before. Make lunches and snacks, place items to take with you in your drop zone, and lay out clothes.