So you have extra time on your hands and you spend it decluttering and organizing. Good for you! Now you have items to donate and no where to take them because of the current COVID 19 situation…what do you do? Here are a few suggestions:
- Be patient. Things will begin to open up at some point and you will be able to get your items into good hands. Guidelines and criteria may change, so be sure to check updates added to the websites of the places where you want to donate.
- Carefully bag or box the items, label them, and put a note in your calendar reminding you to check back with donation locations in a few weeks. Keep the bags or boxes in a safe place, preferably a dry space, out of the way.
- If it is clothing you have to donate, look into mailing your items to an online consignment location. Thred Up, The Real Real, Poshmark.
- Look into givebackbackbox.com – Give Back Box provides vendor services to retailers and charities, giving each and every cardboard box a second life to help people in need. So it is a ‘green’ solution and allows you to donate items as well.
- Check in with family, friends, and neighbors in case they have any interest in your items.
Ideally, what not to do…
- Stuff your items into a donation drop box that is already overflowing with items.
- Throw away items that others will be able to use.
- Drop items off at family, friends or neighbors homes without asking first.