Organized Packing for College
Congratulations to all of the recent high school graduates out there! It’s never too early to start thinking about getting organized for your journey to college and your first experience with dorm life. Here are some tried and true tips for to prepare you for the exciting adventures ahead:
1. Start early. Don’t wait until the end of the summer when you only have a few days before you leave. Put together a list of all the items you need to bring, what you need to buy, and what you want to pack. Many stores have lists already made and you can modify these for your personal needs (Bed, Bath Beyond, The Container Store…)
2. Save receipts. Inevitably you will purchase an item or multiple items that you think you need but you don’t.
3. Get rid of the packaging at home. On move in day your dorm will be overrun with trash and recyclable items, so if you can avoid some of this, try to do so. Some items are better left in their packaging, so pick and choose what you hang onto. And, remember that if Mom and Dad take home large bags, backpacks, and duffle bags that you used to transport items, they will need to bring them back in the spring for move out day…
4. For the clothes that will hang in the closet, put them on hangers so they can be placed directly on the closet rod when you arrive. You may even want to cover these clothes with a plastic trash bag or garment bag if there is rain in the forecast.
5. Don’t underestimate the need for:
-Shoes or flip flops for the shower
-Bed risers (sometimes 2 sets) to raise the bed and create more storage underneath. Just be aware that these are for single beds, not bunk beds.
-Sturdy bins for storing miscellaneous items like snacks, notebooks, extra toiletries, etc. Pre pack these bins to save time.
-An extra tension rod or adjustable closet rod extender to create more space for hanging clothes in small closets.
-Boot trays to line the bottom of your closet and use for muddy and wet shoes.
-Desk drawer dividers for all of those desk supplies you will ‘dump’ in your drawers.
-A door stop so you can prop your door open so friends can drop in.
-A long charging cord and power strip
6. Finally, bring plenty of: 3M wall hooks and command strips for non-damaging wall hanging, clothes hangers, & cleaning wipes.